As an international student, i am blessed to grow up in this millennium year where i can embraced the used of technologies. This is my third year living in Australia and i wouldn't have imagine if i have to write a letter and wait for a long time for the reply just to say hello. When i was a kid, my father travelled a lot for work. He used to send me a post cards, where ever he was to stay connected with me. Even though it was just a piece of paper, it really mean a lot to me. Now, looking at my brother and his son, every time he went overseas, he used Skype to stay connected with his son, how lucky they are. In recent years, the world has changed and has become more globally with the invention of media such as Skype, Facebook, Whatsapp etc.
As a usage of technology is becoming more and more prominent, it has anchored it self deeply in modern society. As a matter of fact, technology has change our life routine more efficient and convenience into natural way. With many countries going wireless, countless of people are more and more ‘connected’. ‘Globalisation refers to the growing interconnectedness of different parts of the world, a process which gives rise to complex forms of interaction and interdependency’ Thomson (Ratanen, 2007). This fast global reach of communication has opened a new way to communicate with each other as two or more people from different sides of the world can share and exchange information with each other despite their geographical disposition.
My dad is not a big fan of technologies because he finds it hard and complicated. But because of his work demand, he have to learn how to use Skype so that he do not have to travel every time and in some way, he found it amusing. In 2001, my brother used to studied in Perth and he used to us back home using phone card which cost him 20dollars. Compare to me, I used Whatsapp and Viber to stay communicate and it cost me almost nothing. Plus, I used Skype where I can see them clearly enough to make me feel like no distance between me and my family. How can I not embrace my life with technology?
Rantanen, T, 2005, ‘Theorising media globalisation’, The media and globalisation, Sage, London, P1-18.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Syaffyka Binti Musa! Great start to your blog and I hope you are enjoying Australia!
ReplyDeleteFirst off, great perspective of globalisation and informational flows. I also agree with Thomson’s definition and find that media and communication, specifically technology and social media play a vital role in globalization. I think sometimes we overlook how globalization plays a greater role in our daily lives and without globalization using social media such as Facebook and Skype would not have been possible. It’s fascinating to see (as I used a similar approach in my post) how technology has progressed throughout the years, for example, post cards from your dad and now Skype and Viber.
And don’t worry my mum is hopeless when it comes to technology!
Can’t wait to read more ☺
Morgan Haynes
Hi Syaffyka,
ReplyDeleteTechnology has indeed changed our lives. I remember not knowing the existence of Facebook, Skype, etc until I was slightly older. Before that, I was always writing letters to my relatives overseas. I fully agree with Thomson's definition and that with globalisation, the world is coming together as one. Although it is very vast, globalisation is happening daily in our lives due to the fact that everything we see or hear, etc is due to globalisation. With technology advancing, it is not that rare to find someone with the latest form of communication. I personally find the latest technologies these days enticing simply because I was born in the 90's and back then I lived my life very much without technology! :)